Sunday, January 28, 2007

Catch up

Okay, I know I've been here a week without really posting. I'll try to make up for that with this post. So to catch up I flew from Dallas to San Fransisco and then from San Fransisco to Kansai International. It was a long, but fairly uneventful flight. I got a window seat which was good, but they ran out of vegetarian meals, so that was rather unhappy. At the airport I met some other girls who are going to Kansai Gaidai as well 2 of them actually live on my floor, so I had people to talk to on the hour and a half bus ride to the dorms. We checked in and I went out to dinner at this restraunt that serves Okonomiyaki and got a mochi filled one (kind of like a Japanese pizza with rice paste filling) It was really yummy, but I was kind of sick from jet lag, so I didn't eat very much and went to my room to sleep. I got up fairly early the next morning, and me and some of the other students went out to get lunch at this ramen store and then to a store that sells electrical stuff where I got a LAN cable for my computer. I hung out with the girls I met at the airport after that. On Monday orientation started and I was on campus doing all the stuff that involved most of the day. On Tuesday I had my language placement exam and then me and 3 other girls went to Hirakata City where the mall is and got some things we needed and took pictures in these really cool photo booths. Lucinda is going to try to scan them, so maybe I will post some of them later. The rest of the week was mostly orientation stuff, and in the evenings we either got stuff from the grocery store and came back to the dorm to watch TV or went out to eat. On Friday we went to Kyoto with a Japanese student as a guide. We went to this really cool temple there. I've got some pictures of that which I'll post later in a slide. Saturday a big group of us went to DenDen town which is where all these electronic stores are in Osaka. We also did some exploring of the rest of Osaka, and then yesterday I moved into my permanent room and got all organized. Today i don't have any classes, since Japanese doesn't start till tomorrow, but after today I have classes every weekday, except for holidays. I'll post my schedule of that later also. Anyway that's what I've been doing this last week, and why I've been to busy to keep up with this (also I didn't have internet in my room till Friday). I'll try to do better from now on though.

3 comments:

De said...

Syd,
Just checking to see if this works
De

De said...

De says
So glad that you made it to Japan. I wish we would have seen you more when you were home but I knw you had lots of catching up to do. You are in our thoughts and prayers and we Love you!
De

Grandpa said...

Hi Syd,
You have been moving fast this past week. What mode of transportation were you using to get all this accomplished: Public, feet, cycle, cabs, etc?
Love, Grandma